Tuesday, July 20, 2010

tomato + chickpeas





One of my favorite lunches is a quick meal I throw together with chick peas and tomatoes. It's probably the simplest, fastest dish I make -- and by far one of the most delicious! Me and my dad always fight over who gets the last bit of food left in the frying pan :)

Just heat up some oil in a frying pan, and add a nice helping of tomatoes (I like to use one container of grape tomatoes, cut into halves.) Rinse off a can of chickpeas and add them to the mix. Once the tomatoes are softened and the chickpeas are a little browned, add about 1/4 c. of panko (Japanese bread crumbs, but normal bread crumbs work ok too.) I like a lot of bread crumbs, but you can just add them until you get the consistency you want. Then toss in some garlic powder, oregano and parsley. Let it all cook for about five minutes and you're done! I love eating this as a main course, but it's also great as a topping on crusty bread, and could also work as a side dish for dinner!